View Single Post
Old 12-29-2015, 09:43 AM
grant15clone

I got this poor machine that was in at least one flood. It was seized up and the hook area was an absolute mess. It had stickers all over it and it was starting to get Aluminum Rot (rust for aluminum). The stickers were instructions on how to wind a bobbin, turn the machine on and off, and the big sticker says "Sewing Machine" in Hebrew. I thought it was neat, but they had to go. I did save them however, except for the big one. It fell apart.
It is running and sewing great again now after a lot of work, but another Vintage machine was saved. This was going to be scrapped if I didn't get it and that would have been a shame. Even what seems like a lost cause, can often be fixed and be useful again.
I do have the full restoration on my page, but I know not everyone sees it there, so I wanted to share some of the highlights of my latest victory with you all here.
~Grant~

The front as I got it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]538994[/ATTACH]

Front after cleaning.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]538995[/ATTACH]

Back before.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]538997[/ATTACH]

Back after cleaning.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]538999[/ATTACH]

Hook area was rusted solid and it was full of rust everywhere. It was all disassembled, cleaned and polished.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]539000[/ATTACH]

Inside of the free arm was full of rust too. You can see that water was sitting in there for some time. A lot of it too.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]539001[/ATTACH]

Inside of the head was not as bad, but it still needed a bit of work. The presserfoot bar was rusted into the foot pressure adjuster. Rusted solid right to the presserfoot bar.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]539002[/ATTACH]

The bottom of the machine had some very serious rust on parts. You can also see the internal water line where water sat for some time.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]539004[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2015-12-23-15.26.54.jpg   2015-12-15-11.10.34.jpg   2015-12-23-15.29.49.jpg   hook-area-before-after.jpg   free-arm-before-after.jpg  

head-before-after.jpg   bottom-before-after.jpg