Old 01-04-2016, 12:25 PM
mrs. fitz

Not embarrassed, because I did the best I could when I began quilting and still use a few of my earliest attempts, but regretful. Years ago I made my brother a lap quilt for Christmas using Popeye fabric and a star fabric for backing. The front was just alternating squares, Popeye and a solid, with a hand quilted anchor design on the solid squares. Never thought about it until a few months ago when he asked if I could repair it. To my surprise and joy, he's used it constantly and eventually he wore a hole in the backing. When he brought it to me I was shocked at the poor quality of the backing fabric. I guess because it went with the front, which was a decent but not great cotton, I used it because at the time I didn't know the difference. In addition, he said it's been washed often which helped weaken the fabrics. I've added fabric over the hole but I wish I could do it all again using higher grade fabrics and more extensive quilting. He's happy with it, that's what matters, and it's shown me that I've really made progress over the years. I just wish it were better.