View Single Post
Old 01-14-2016, 06:19 AM
Vinnie

We meet every week from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. We bring a lunch, and oftentimes someone brings something to share, or a cake for a birthday. We have some who hand quilt on a top, pieced at home by a member, for a raffle quilt. We use the money to purchase batting for our tied quilts donated to Lutheran World Relief. We share in the piecing for the donation quilts, sometimes at home, sometimes at our church. We also quilt for our members in nursing homes or those sick. We have also done the fleece tied quilts for a local charity donation. We have a room for our stash, fabric mostly donated from a quilter member. We have 2 sewing machines in our quilters room. Our group is small--less than 10 total-- with usually 5-6 there every week.

This is how I began quilting. My husband had purchased 2 quilt tops at a member's estate auction. The tops set in the closet for sometime. I asked the quilting group if they would hand quilt them for me for a predetermined amount. They said they would if I helped them. So at spring break and in the summer (I was teaching at the time.) I quilted with them. I was hooked! Now, I am retired, so I join them weekly. We love the time spent together. We share family stories, what we are working on or have finished. We also love the quilts we make and display in our gym before we send them off to LWR. Our quilts may not be award winning, but they are stitched with love, and the member who won our last raffle quilt loves it.

Good luck with your group. I hope it is as much fun as our group!