View Single Post
Old 01-18-2016, 02:23 PM
zozee

I bought a Janome DC 1050 four years ago and used it a lot. Paid $299 from Mr. vac and Mrs Sew online. They have great customer service. It was all I wanted to spend until I found out whether quilting was a new hobby that would "stick". I have a reputation for being a crash and burn hobbyist, but quilting is an obsession after 4 years! That one has needle up/down, auto threader (though it's junky IMO) , a bazillion stitches I never used, not a large throat (wont find that in your budget). It was smooth and sweet. I still have it. I decided that Janome is my kind of machine, so I saved up and saved up for the 8200 with my part time $$. Then my sweet hubby gave it to me for my 50th bday this past August and I love,love,love It! He conceded that quilting had "stuck"! And I still have all the $$ I had saved up!

My second favorite brand is Brother. You can get a Project Runway model I think in your budget? I bought my DIL one new at a yard sale for $75. After trying it out, I wanted to keep it but that wouldn't be very nice of me, would it? I found it to feel sturdier than the Janome 1050, but stitched equally well, and no up/down needle or auto threadervif I'm remembering right.

Last edited by zozee; 01-18-2016 at 02:26 PM.