View Single Post
Old 01-22-2016, 05:03 AM
NJ Quilter

First I would suggest rather than go with the standard, generic, recommended height of anything, do a bit of research on ergonomics. Ideally, you want your 'working' height to be the distance from your bent elbow to the ground if I am not mistaken.

Not that that is the configuration I have, mind you! I'd be wary of something on wheels due to lack of stability. They would have to have some very positive locking mechanism before I would consider a wheeled anything.

If you could find, perhaps, a low-cost/free smallish bedroom dresser? Put locking wheels on yourself (Lowes/Home Depot carry these) you would get additional storage as well. See if your current bedroom dresser is a more comfortable working height for you than your kitchen counter. I have issues rolling cookie dough, for example, at standard kitchen counter height because I'm short so I know that would not be a comfortable cutting height for me.

I have one of the tables similar to what JAF carries that the two sides fold down and is only about 12" wide when sides are folded. It is wheeled but I have it on carpet. Can not tell you at the moment if the wheels lock or not but I think they do. I like the size of the table when extended and use for cutting; ironing (with just towels on top); pinning borders; basting quilts. Height is not ideal for me but it's workable.