View Single Post
Old 01-22-2016, 05:21 AM
Mickey2

I used to throw away all needles I hadn't bought my self, maybe unless they looked brand new in a packages. I discovered some sell needles individually from a large package, they just pin them in a piece of fabric and into a paper bag. Either way, I relalized I probably had threwn out brand new needles because they weren't in what looked to me original packaging. I found this neat advice to run the needle over the tip of your nail, if it catches it's worn and if it's smooth it's still fine. Running it over a nylon stocking or similar will catch the slightest of wear too.

In hard times when new needles were hard to come by, they ran the tip of the needle over a fine honing stone to take the burr out of the metal, and they could stitch away with the same needle. I'm not that frugal, but I try not to throw out perfectly good needles, just because I didn't buy them my self. I haven't seen them in a while, but I used to buy a type of needle with a ceramic tip, or some kind of extra hard metal, they were made to last much longer than regular needles. It would be such a waste to throw them out just in case. Does anyone find checking the needle tip for burrs and wear reliable? So far it has worked for me.

Last edited by Mickey2; 01-22-2016 at 05:25 AM.