View Single Post
Old 01-26-2016, 01:43 PM
Sammie1

Cut, or don't cut. There is no subcut.

What is "subcut"? Does this mean wishy-washy cutting? That you're sort of cutting? Or are you cutting something underneath the fabric? Why are they using "subcut"? Why not use the term "cut"? And "strips widths"? What?

I'm a technical writer. Writing and editing instructions is part of our flair and considering the number of poorly written instructions I come across outside of my technical writing job, people should use them more often.

It really depends on the audience the directions are written for.
If it's not for a very basic beginner, then telling them to cut 200 four inch squares is the better way. A more advanced quilter is going to know how to cut out 200 squares of a determined size. To explain to them how insults their intelligence and will cause them to miss a step as they skim over information they don't need.
If this is for a very basic beginner and teaching them how to make a quilt, then it should walk them through it a bit more. So either could be correct in the direction they're taking though both are poorly written.

"Subcut"? "Strips widths"? Those are not a thing. That's naughty writing. :P

The entire document is likely too long and in the dreaded "wall of text" format, I bet. But I haven't seen it.

Last edited by Sammie1; 01-26-2016 at 01:46 PM.