View Single Post
Old 02-02-2016, 11:32 PM
Mickey2

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
You've mentioned more than once that there has to be something better. What's wrong with PJ?
There might not be anything wrong at all, and if you say White motors always used pj, then I might too. My experimentation on greases have been from bicycle hubs, anything from non-geared, 3 speed to 9 speed. Some greases are gooey enough to make pedals noticeably harder to turn, which is something just the inner circle of mechanics talk about, though it's well known. I know the consistency of grease can matter a lot. When I use a suitable liquid oil in a hub they tend to run and shift even lighter; often much better. For bikes it's usually always low temperature, at least where I live. The exception is a few down hill conditions, but then it's the breaks causing the heat. Some tests even show less wear with oil than grease. However, motors need grease and oil is a side track in this regard. Before you made me aware of melting points and wicking abilty factors I was aiming for something with the added slipperyness of teflon, and a very smooth and soft feel.

Do you use the very soft PJ or the slightly more solid type? There seem to be two types when I buy it at the grocery store or drug store.

Last edited by Mickey2; 02-02-2016 at 11:44 PM.