View Single Post
Old 02-03-2016, 12:00 AM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by Margie07 View Post
I also ordered new Singer All Purpose Machine Oil for oiling the parts on my machine. In your experience is this okay, or should I get oil that says "sewing machine oil" vs just "all purpose machine oil?"
This is the one I ordered
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Thank you guys so much! It's relieving to have people who have had the experience with old sewing machines help me wade through this stuff.
That oil is probably fine. You're not looking to rehabilitate a stuck machine so Tri-flow isn't strictly necessary at this point. Tri-flow is my preferred oil but sewing machine oil is fine. The only thing you may not like about that bottle is that it might not be one of the ones with a straw so it may be messier.

If that's the case, get an oral syringe from your pharmacy (that's the one with the curved tip and no luer-lok for a needle on it) and put the oil in there to dispense it - Like the syringe Rain shows on his page about refilling the grease tubes. All I use these days are syringes for oiling and greasing machines - way more accurate except when I'm initially filing them. At that point, I should be behind a blast shield.