View Single Post
Old 02-19-2016, 08:27 AM
MomtoBostonTerriers

I, too, became interested in sewing charity quilts about a year into Longarm Ownership. I quilted about 35 tops for a local quilt guild that gives them to hospitals and the local police (who can hand them out to children who are removed from their homes under emergency situations). Then I discovered my "own charity." While visiting relatives in a different state, I met the director and ladies of a half-way house for recently released prisoners. This charity is small, and works with 7 ladies at a time, giving them guidance in how to turn their lives around and find jobs. Within 6-12 months the women move into their own apartments. As each woman leaves the facility, she takes her quilt with her, so there is a continual need for more quilts as new ladies move into the half-way house.

I am hoping to make 7-14 quilts a year for this small group. I make twin size up to queen size, whatever I feel like at the moment. This is a stretch for me because I love Bonnie Hunter patterns that have a gazillion pieces each. I know, I'm crazy! Obviously, I need to find patterns with fewer pieces so I can achieve this goal. This charity receives no government support and is only supported by local businesses and churches (and one long-distance quilter). I took a tour of the facility, and it was so humble using donated everything and is run on shoe-string. That makes me feel like I am making a difference.

This is to encourage you kind-hearted quilters who want to share the results of your fun hobby with others. Keep your eyes open and look for an opportunity that will match up with your desire to bestow quilts on people who will need/appreciate them and folks who need to be reminded that someone is sending good wishes their way.