View Single Post
Old 02-26-2016, 04:25 PM
Bree123

UFO's are quilts in progress. I probably wouldn't consider it a UFO unless there was some sewing done, but I don't know if there's some hard & fast rule about what constitutes a UFO. I have one that has been a UFO for a some years now. It is a Christmas quilt that I bought fat quarter bundles for when a local JAF was closing (to reopen at a larger location). I get maybe 2 blocks done each season before I give up on it.

My personal choice is to try to just have 2 quilts going at once (okay, 3 when you count that holiday UFO thing) because otherwise I get too distracted and will never finish. I have so much energy when I get started on a quilt & then partway through it hits that "I'm not sure I'm going to like this" phase and I just want to give up -- plus, I have all these design ideas in my head that I desperately want to get out in fabric! For me, I've found I do best when I just push through and get the quilt done. I always love them when they're finished.

If you haven't worked on something for 5 years, I guess I'd wonder how likely you really are to want to finish it -- especially since it sounds like you have a lot of new ideas, too. Sometimes guild members will adopt a UFO to finish and donate to charity. I know there was a point in my early quilting career when I wanted to make quilts for charity but didn't have enough money for the fabric. I would have loved to inherit someone's UFO, finish it & find it a loving home. Perhaps that is an option for you -- or a quilter's garage sale. If it's too much to think of parting with all of them, maybe you could pick 5-6 of your absolute favorites that you want to commit to finishing & then donate/sell the rest. Just an idea.

I definitely don't think you're being "greedy". It's just hard to commit to one idea when there are so many beautiful quilts out there in the world just waiting to be made.