View Single Post
Old 03-01-2016, 04:49 AM
Kris P

Yes, SR HARRIS in Minnesota has two locations. They both sell fabric for 50% off. So quilting cottons around $6 per yard. They have quite the mix. Some is designer quilt shop quality, others is what you would find at JAF. You just need to know what you want. The Brooklyn Park location is very large is indeed a warehouse. The bolts are stacked on top of each other on warehouse racking and it's quite a workout. Fabric is sorted by type. All quilting cottons together, all minky together. It's quite a workout pulling out bolts from the middle of a stack 20 high. Bring a friend to help hold up the top layers while you pull. At this location, you cut your own fabric (up to 4 yards, I think) You need to return the bolts to the racks when you're done. You'll usually find Sid, the owner hanging around conversing with the customers. He's kind of a hoot!
The newer Burnsville location is much smaller and the quilting section is set up more like a quilt shop with newer arrivals grouped by line, and older bolts and blenders arranged by color or section. (like novelty,polka dots, shimmery) At the Burnsville location, they cut your fabric, and return bolts to the shelves.
I can get myself in trouble at either store... quite quickly, even though I usually only buy 1/2 yard cuts... a pile a foot high still adds up.
http://srharrisfabric.com The home page of the website shows pictures of both locations.