View Single Post
Old 03-25-2016, 04:25 AM
quilterpurpledog

If you go to the Superior Thread website you will find lots of information about thread. In fact, "Dr. Bob" has produced a DVD about threads, needles, etc. While it is true that it is geared to the wide variety of threads available from Superior, the information is applicable to other brands. The emphasis is on fiber content and weight. Thread does matter and different threads produce different results. My thread cabinet is filled with a wide variety of brands and types. If I was new to quilting I would invest in instructional information about thread and also information about batting. You can buy a sample packet of batting squares (the one I purchased featured Hobbs products). By using muslin squares, make sandwiches and quilt on them using different threads. Label them carefully with Sharpies and you can see what look you would get using different threads and different batting. I truly believe that if a new quilter takes the time and effort to educate herself or himself there will be less heartache and disappointment.