View Single Post
Old 03-26-2016, 12:26 PM
quiltwiz

Default Thimbles for hand quilting

Originally Posted by Genden View Post
I have been hand quilting for about fifteen years and have tried many thimbles, but have not found one that works for me. I quilt with my fingernails. I quilt on a frame and when I quilt away from myself, I use my thumbnail. A couple of times I have worn a hole in my fingernail. (Super glue is an acceptable fix.) I have been tempted numerous times to buy "the expensive" thimble, but have been concerned it would end up on the shelf with the other thimbles that don't work for me and I will have spent money I would rather have for something else. Shared thimble experiences would be appreciated. Should I spend the big money?
I have been using the Roxanne thimble for a very long time. Bought it from Roxanne herself at the Houston quilt show. Paid $35 for the first one and gold colored one, one size smaller cost $40 about five years later...my fingers change sizes from winter to summer. I will not use anything else...they are wonderful when sized properly. I also use Roxanne needles. Used to use # 12's and now use # 10's so i can see to thread them. They, too, are great.
Well worth the money...but they do take time to get use to as they are a bit heavier than the less expensive ones.