View Single Post
Old 04-03-2016, 07:24 PM
Bree123

Originally Posted by kellyer21 View Post
Thank you. I've thought about drawing the design on my quilt top but with dark and light fabrics how does a light or a dark pencil show up on both fabric shades?
I just switch colors. The markers do get a bit dry over time, so I switched a lot. I also originally thought I'd do an angular stippled on the triangle parts, but decided to change to a cross hatch so I just grabbed a different color & remarked the design.

When the fabric is very dark, I use a white Crayola Ultra Clean crayon or a white water soluble pencil. I would not recommend the colored pencils or colored chalks. A lot of people (including me) aren't always able to completely remove them. Not a problem if you stitch exactly on the line, but not so much fun if you don't. I had white Ultra Clean crayon on the boots for my applique & it's already come out. Be sure to keep a pencil/crayon sharpener near you when you're marking so you can keep a nice tip.

I give my quilt top a nice pressing before I start & then make sure it has time to cool completely before I begin marking. Then I gently tape it to the floor (or a large table) and get to work.

Note: the water spots are from when I showed my very nervous 4yo niece how the marker comes out with plain water (I dripped! oops!)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]546925[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0302.jpg