View Single Post
Old 04-21-2016, 12:24 PM
Sisty88

Default Fabric requirements for Dear Jane

Hi all :-)

I'm currently in the planning stages of a baby Jane quilt. I am really struggling with deciding how much fabric to buy! Because it's likely to take me a looooooong time, I want to make sure I buy all the fabric from one bolt, to avoid any dye lot issues, or take the chance that the fabric isn't available if I run out. I can just imagine myself being about 4 blocks from finishing and running out!

The book states that you need 5 yards of background fabric. Then the dear Jane website says that's wrong and you need 8 yards if handpiecing, 15 if machine piecing and 20 if foundation piecing!

I'm planning on handpiecing the lot (am I crazy? I might be!), so that means I need 8 yards of background fabric.

I'm going for a black background with purple as the main colour and some bright pink for a little pop. I originally planned to just use one purple fabric throughout, but I haven't been able to find any info anywhere on how much to get! One site said that you can make a block from 2-3 charm squares of fabric. I did a calculation based on this and came up with 10 yards for the purple, but that seems like it might be overkill?

I guess the other option is to use various purples and then I can just buy it a fat quarter at a time, but I quite like the idea of one black and one purple throughout, with a bit of variation in the pinks.

Is anyone who's made a baby Jane able to help me decide how much to buy?

Sorry that was a bit long!