View Single Post
Old 04-23-2016, 06:58 AM
Fledrmaus

Thanks! I've read that parts for the 27 are widely available, so I hope it won't be difficult to find the shuttle plate. The spring, though... They're available on eBay, but I'm in Canada, and the cost of shipping the part (with the metal plate that goes with it - you never find them separately) would make it more expensive than the whole machine and cabinet, which cost me $55 Canadian! That's why I thought it would be cheaper just to find a broken-down cabinet, take the spring and discard the rest. It's not an essential part - not necessary for running the machine, but I think it keeps the belt from slipping off and falling to the bottom of the cabinet every time you lower the machine.

The interesting thing about the auction I went to on Wednesday was that there were TWO treadle machines for sale, this one and a not-so-old one which I thought was a 15. I felt sure that everyone would be interested in this one because of the fancy iron legs, and I'd have to settle for the other. But instead, I got mine for $32.50 (just over $25US, I think) and the other went for $50! It was in good condition and worked well, but I thought it was rather boring-looking. But when I did an online search I discovered some interesting things about that OTHER machine.

It had the black "crinkle" finish with kind of measly decals - that made it rather uncommon. I even thought maybe someone had tried to refinish it, but changed my mind when I saw it had the "official" Singer name decoration on the top. I'd just never seen this rough sort of surface, I was used to the smooth, shiny finish of Singers. Its serial number started with JA, which meant it was built in St. John's between 1934 and 1941, I believe were the dates. Anyway, in the pictures I've seen of crinkle machines, I don't believe I've seen a treadle among them. So maybe that lady got herself a little prize!

Last edited by Fledrmaus; 04-23-2016 at 07:01 AM.