View Single Post
Old 05-02-2016, 09:34 AM
Notwendy

The newer washers, even top loading, don't agitate as well as older models. Gentler on cloths but not great when you want to felt. So I'm not doing load after load, I've started to do it manually. I put a small trashcan in the laundry sink, add a bit of soap and hot water. Add the pieces to be felted, maybe some tennis balls or jeans for additional friction and then treat it like a butter churner, using a clean plunger (buy one for this purpose). When everything is good and wet, I also add boiling water and put on some dishwashing gloves. The trashcan keeps any stray fibers from going down the drain. I've been pretty pleased with the results and it is a nice workout. : ) It takes about 20 minutes but you can space it out - just keep your water hot, replacing it if necessary.

Edited to add - I then dry on hot after putting the pieces loosely into zippered pillow cases to contain the fuzz. Every once in a while I will repeat the process if I think it needs more felting. You can always felt more but you can't unfelt - if size is important keep a close eye on your work during the process.

Last edited by Notwendy; 05-02-2016 at 09:37 AM.