View Single Post
Old 05-09-2016, 05:50 AM
joe'smom

Where are you from geographically? Do you live in a small town, suburbs, or a city?
Suburb of St. Louis, MO

What is your age/ gender/profession/ marital status?
62-yr-old married female.

How long have you been quilting?
Began quilting in 2011.

How long have you engaged in online quilting communities and resources? And why did you first join?
I first posted on the Quilting Board in May 2013, because I needed advice on a border. I think I’d been reading the board for some time before that. I discovered the board after searching on-line for info on the hand quilting stitch.

What other means of communication do you use to stay in touch with others quilters and the quilting community at large?
I used to have a local quilt shop close by, and would stop there about once a month. Sadly, they closed last Christmas. I now do all my shopping on-line.

Do you have access to in-person quilting communities and classes near you?
Yes, but physical limitations keep me from getting involved.

What have been the social benefits of being involved in an online quilting forum?
Lets me feel connected with other quilters.

Do you feel that your presence here has influenced the quality/artistry of your quilting? If so, how?
I learn about patterns, and see other people’s quilts, which gives me ideas I would never have on my own.

Would you consider yourself very active in social media outside of quilting oriented sites? To what extent would you say that you are technologically savvy?
I only belong to one other on-line quilt group. I haven’t figured out how pinterest or the blogosphere works, but that’s probably just as well, as more time spent at the computer means less time quilting.

How much time do you dedicate to quilting and crafting per week?
It’s probably about 3 hours per day.

What is your opinion of computer generated quilting patterns and resources?
I don’t have experience with this, but also don’t have an urge to design my own patterns.

Best of luck on your research paper. Great topic!