Thread: Mystery machine
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2016, 07:44 AM
Fledrmaus

Update 5/24 : I went to the Victoria Day auction up in Balderson, and GOT this mysterious old machine! I was right - they *didn't* know it was a sewing machine. It was in a box with some rusty old axe heads.

I haven't had time to do much work on my sewing machine projects, because it's *finally* spring and I've been planting the garden. But that's nearly done, and I'll be going back to refinishing my Singer 27 treadle cabinet, and I'll have time to study this new guy.

Still no idea who the maker is - I thought I saw a raised badge on the underside, but can't see any raised lettering. I couldn't resist just making a tiny start, though, so I got a little sewing machine oil and tried uncovering a bit of the bed to see if I could bring up some of the decal. It looks pretty!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]550738[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]550739[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]550740[/ATTACH]

The balance wheel turns, but the gears don't engage, so nothing else moves. I'll try to loosen things up with PB Blaster when I get a chance. The balance wheel is grooved, so I think this might have been a treadle machine. No sign of a crank or any place to attach one.
Attached Thumbnails old-machine-002.jpg   old-machine-001.jpg   old-machine-003.jpg