View Single Post
Old 06-12-2016, 06:18 AM
Joanie2

Like many others, I really have no need for fabric (like that stops me, right?). I do enjoy the country store that local guilds have at their quilt shows but a more fun way is to have a "swap" within your own circle of quilting friends. No money trades but a whole lot of fun and a way to clear out the old and bring in some new to you stuff. Once of twice a year my friends gather at my house and bring anything they have outgrown---left over project fabrics (can you believe I have friends who toss whatever they don't use once their project is complete! Not me!), fabrics they thought they liked at one time but no longer, magazines, books, tools & patterns. They know the swap is going to be a fun event so they start sorting their own stuff and putting aside stuff for our date. Come play day I set up card tables, etc and everyone brings their goodies over and they are placed around the room. Not in order of your stuff here and mine there. Often by colors. When everyone has arrived and unloaded everything we all simply take what interests us. There is no fighting over anything, just a lot of oohs and aahs and 'I've got the perfect project for this fabric!'
Everyone always brings a food item to share and it's simply a great time had by all. Everyone benefits because what is left over gets sorted for charity quilts, our guild's free table or thrift stores. A win, win!