Old 06-27-2016, 03:41 PM
Tothill

Default Do you or did you bake with your children?

This is not a recipe, but related to food, so I thought it should go under this thread.

I was talking about baking with my children at work today (at a commercial bakery) and none of the others (3 women around 50) baked with their kids. I was surprised, as in my family children 'helped' to bake cookies, bars, bread etc, from the time they were big enough to stand on a chair at the counter.

I 'helped' to bake my grandmother's birthday cake from abut age 5. That grandmother baked bread and taught me to bake bread by feel, instead of measuring or weighing.

By the time I was 12 I was doing all the baking for my family. Mostly cookies, bars, muffins and loaves, plus cinnamon buns on occasion.

My kids started baking around age 2, we baked at least weekly, to keep the cookie jar full.. We all ate raw dough, yes with raw eggs, and never got sick. They took over the baking 'chore' by the time they were 12, just as I did. My 20 year old son, makes incredible cookies, brownies and pizza dough.

So my question is, do you or did you bake with your children? What is the favourite recipe to bake together.

In my family our go to recipe is chocolate chip cookies, with peanut butter and oatmeal.