View Single Post
Old 07-13-2016, 05:22 AM
dinlauren

I live just a couple of blocks from the sirens and they are LOUD. Thankfully these condo's were built with inside halls and bathrooms, so I take the cell phone, flashlight with fresh batteries and make sure I have shoes with me, just in case the tornado strike and I have to walk through the mess I won't tear up the bottoms of my feet. I was living in Houston when Hurricane Alicia hit...south actually in Galveston County and we could hear tornadoes all night but none hit the little wood frame house I was staying in with friends. When we went out the next day, huge trees were pulled up out of the ground with 10 or more feet of roots showing and chain link fences were ripped across and tossed into a heap right across the street. Lots of damage and of course lots of roof tiles off of many houses. In the middle of the night we saw a neighbor driving out of the neighborhood in that terrible weather....his wife had gone into serious labor and had to get her to the hospital which was some distance away...they had no power when she got there...quite a night...finally either power was restored or the generators kicked in and delivery went fine. So just be prepared with maybe a plastic bin of essentials that you periodically check...flashlights, snacks like individual cheese-its or granola bars, spare batteries etc. and put all in ziplock bags inside the bin. Hope you never have to go through a tornado, because it is a bit frightening, but you are not in a likely place to get them.