Old 07-18-2016, 06:24 AM
DonnaC

I'm a pretty experienced hand embroiderer, but there is always so much more to learn! The most important thing is to be kind to yourself. You're not going to do perfect work, but it is so much fun.

I love YouTube, and recently found a fabulous resource for learning hand embroidery stitches. This person is from India, does not speak English on any of the videos I've watched, but her tutorials are beyond fabulous, and the way she films everything is so clear and concise, you'll be able to follow along with no problem. Her name is Shagufta Fyms. Here's one of her videos (she has lots of them): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBiVS19vk0c

Machine embroidery, as others have said, is a whole different ball o'wax, with lots of equipment involved (machine, stabilizers, hoops, threads, on and on!). I do enjoy that as well, in some circumstances. On Sewing with Nancy (Zieman), there's a whole series of shows on doing machine quilting with an embroidery machine. Looks fascinating, but honestly it's a little fuss-budgetty for me. As someone else mentioned above, hand embroidery is calming and soothing. Sometimes, machine embroidery causes me to cuss like a sailor. LOL