View Single Post
Old 07-28-2016, 06:23 AM
jackiequilts4fun

Default Tell Me about your Quilting Interest

Hello,

Since I am new here .... well actually I joined a couple of yrs. ago, but I haven't been around much.
Now that I am sewing more regularly, I want to be around ..... daily!
And I'd love to know about your quilting/sewing interests.

I learned to sew in Home Ec when I was 13. 7th gr., I guess.
My mom bought me a sewing machine for Christmas that year.
A Singer Genie. I still have it, although I don't use it.
I'm the only person in my family, or extended family, who sews.

7 yrs. ago when I was dx with cancer (I'm doing pretty good btw) & stopped working, I bought a Viking D1 machine.
I LOVE it.
I haven't done much embroidery; therefore, I hardly remember how. Grrrr.
But I've made a dorm quilt for my daughter (her dorm mates raved .... that feels good ),
another quilt (not quite complete) for my son,
baby quilts for my nieces, and other, smaller things in between.

I joined our local quilt guild for inspiration.

Occasionally I take classes @ the LQS. We have several in town.
I have one small sampler quilt in process now @ the shop ... need to get back to finish it.
She's helping me to "unlearn" some of my bad habits from being a self-taught quilter.
Just bought a used Viking Prelude 360 from eBay so that I have more options for classes @ the LQS' & retreats. I have a hard time lugging my D1 around.

Anyway .... so all this sewing, which really hasn't been a ton, is showing me that I prefer smaller projects.
I enjoy making curtains (not large) for bedrooms & bathrooms.
I want to get more accomplished with this embroidery technique.
I like making smaller quilts, bed runners, baby quilts, etc.
And table runners ...... that's my favorite!!
I have one in process right now ..... soon as I figure out how to post a photo, I will.
I'm using the Pineapple Paper Piecing technique for this.
It is such fun!
My daughter is marrying in October ... I'm giving her 2 table runners for her kitchen since she doesn't have anything like that. But I have to learn this embroidery so that I can nicely label the back of the runner! I want it to say something like .... made with love by mom, for your bridal shower ... something like that.

I've been to two quilting retreats. I am free as a bird to travel.
Would LOVE to take a trip to a quilting retreat. Have any of you done that?
Because of my cancer ... I cruise at least once a year. Always to the caribbean.
I like sunshine! We couldn't do nice vacations when the kids were younger ... & are playing "catch up" now. I'm intrigued with these quilting retreats but they are EXPENSIVE. We cruise for quite a lot less. I understand an uncharge for the sewing, etc ..... but seems the cost is still very expensive.
Would love to hear from those of you who have cruised & sewed @ sea ... if any are here.

My husband is traveling to the Long Beach, CA area 3 times this fall & I can come too, if I'd like.
Anyone here from that area?
If I come with him, I'll be bringing my Viking Prelude!
Looks like there is a really cool quilt shop in Long Beach.

Guess that's it.
Tell me about yourself & your quilting/sewing interest!
I really want to know more.