Old 07-29-2016, 06:00 AM
jackiequilts4fun

Default Have You Unintentionally Injured Your Sewing Machine?

Yesterday I hit a wrong button on my machine .... the one that caused my needle to move to the left; consequently, when I sewed, the needle went right down thru my plastic presser foot.

I was more upset with myself for being careless .... selecting the wrong key rather than the right key (I was adjusting the stitch length). Anyway, the needle went down ... I heard what sounded like a bang, & was nearly brought to tears because I know to avoid such carelessness. I mean it wasn't intentional, I did make a mistake. But it's those mistakes, you know, that cause us to question what we've just done.

Fortunately my Viking D1 machine is sewing well, & surprisingly, my presser foot was not broken.

It did get me to thinking though .... how easy is it to damage one's machine?
Fortunately I've not ever done that.
I'd always heard to be careful, so as to not throw off the timing.
I've been told hitting a pin can throw off the timing.
If that were to happen, I'm not sure what that would look or feel like.
Can you tell me?

Fortunately I don't really hit pins. Have trained myself to stop in advance of them & remove them. With these machines being as pricey as they are, I try to keep mine in good repair & take care of it as best that I can.

So .... I'm just wondering about the ways in which our beloved sewing machines can be compromised, even broken by "us," with our sewing.
I attempt to avoid all the things that I can avoid (hitting pins, dropping the machine, banging the machine when moving it, etc) .... but is there anything else that I should be aware of ... to avoid ... so as to not compromise the sewing machine or even break it?

If I ever were to have a problem with my sewing machine, how would I know ... besides the obvious ... a routine service call, or having the machine act up?

Thanks for your thoughts. I know many of you here have been sewing regularly for decades.
I'm hoping you can give me your insight.

Thanks.