View Single Post
Old 08-02-2016, 09:35 AM
cashs_mom

Originally Posted by crashnquilt View Post
Sailorwoman the answer to your question is NO. As with everything else this is subject to each manufacturer. Just like with rulers. An inch on one ruler may be off a bit from a different brand of ruler. Just like in clothing, one designer's size 16 will not be the same as another designer.
Now, is it alright for you to change this setting? Yes! Remember, YOU purchased the machine. The manufacturer is not paying you to have that machine. Plus there is not one word in your warranty that says you cannot change any settings on that machine. If there is, you need a different machine.
I even change my bobbin tension (OMG THE BOBBIN?) if I wish to run a heavier or thinner thread in the bobbin. Once again, DOES NOT AFFECT THE WARRANTY! Also, that machine belongs to you, you paid for it.
If EVER you have a tech that says changing these things will affect the warranty, challenge that person. Ask them to SHOW YOU where that is stated! Once again, if it is, get a different machine. (Not that I've had this happen to me hehe)
As to where do I set my upper tension, what ever works best at that moment. On days that are dry and little humidity, I have to set the tension a bit higher. On humid days, just the opposite. There really is not a one size fits all tension setting. Too many variables in the equation.
I totally agree with all of this. I have always manipulated tensions to fit the threads I'm using and fabrics I'm sewing on. On my Bernina's the top tension seems to be pre-set kind of tight. I often have to loosen it when using specialty threads. I also bought an extra bobbin casing so I have one that is set for regular sewing and one that I use with thicker of thinner threads or whenever I need to adjust the tension. Just remember on bobbin tension that you don't have to turn the screw very far. I just push on the screw driver until I feel it move and then try it again. Despite what your mother said, its okay to adjust the tension on your machine.