Old 08-07-2016, 08:04 PM
zozee

Originally Posted by homefrontgirl View Post
Zozee - What are you using to mark your blocks/rows? Just white stickers? I love the the quilt!
Thanks. Yes, just white stickers. Normally I number A-1, A-2, A- 3, etc., horizontally, then the second row B-1, B-2, B-3 etc. But this layout made my brain work extra hard, and was actually easier to "picture" vertically because of the "peaks and valleys" that form along the outsides. Not to mention that, since each helix is 3 across by 10 down, it was easy to go 1-10-21, 2-12-22, 3, 13-23, etc. It always takes me a little longer than the average Jo to get into the rhythm, I think

I can't tell you how many times I rearranged colors till it suited me. And in the meantime, I had to talk out loud to myself and concentrate on which way each block had to go in order for the helix to be formed. It's always hot in my sewing room with bright lights, iron, and sunshine during the day, that I have to use an overhead fan and sometimes a floor fan in addition to the central air. Fans and blocks don't play well, and when a couple of blocks blew randomly off my design wall before I had numbered everything, I got more than a little perturbed.

Originally I had planned this quilt to have 3 helixes. I have all the units cut and sewn for the third helix, but am now second guessing whether to use it or keep it with 2. What do you all think? It will float on white, then have a colored stop border, a wider white border, then I think a scrappy binding. Subject to change, of course.