Old 08-09-2016, 07:33 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

I think you need to be very careful about who you hire to do the addition. When not done completely right, an addition can create problems for the existing house. Also, since you are in Indiana, wouldn't you need to excavate at least a crawl space underneath the addition? If so, I would want in-floor heating (electrical mats imbedded in the floor) to keep my toes toasty in the winter. If electricity is expensive in your area (it is inexpensive in some parts of the country), then you will need to factor in extra monthly heating and cooling costs for the addition.

Unless you or your husband understand construction (and can therefore keep an eagle eye on how things are done), my idea would be to sell the house you have and look for a house in your neighborhood that already has the space you need. Major remodeling projects are difficult to live through, often take longer than planned, and often cost more than planned. Perhaps find a house with an unfinished basement? That would be a much smaller project than an addition. Perhaps compare costs on those two options before deciding on what to do. (I *do* think that having enough space to pursue our interests in later life is important!)

Last edited by Prism99; 08-09-2016 at 07:35 PM.