View Single Post
Old 09-02-2016, 06:13 PM
kwiltkrazy

put haha because Mapleton is a podunk town of maybe 750, no train station(we do have our own P.O.) .
Bedock doesn't really have a recipe it was my German Grandma's dish. She didn't make it very often, because of the time involved, she taught the GDs to make it.About a 2lb roast covered with water, allspice added(maybe 2Tbsp) covered with a lid and let to slowly simmer til fall apart tender. take out of water(forgot, you have to keep checking the water to make sure it stays above roast). shred, in large stew pot add roast little of the juice to keep it from burning add 2-21/2 medium heads of cabbage finely shredded like coleslaw 3 medium onions little garlic and salt to taste also add allspice(so much is done by taste and smell) maybe 1-11/2 tsp.let simmer until cabbage is very tender.Last 2 hrs of cooking start bread from scratch, sorry can't find my bread recipe. Yopu can use any basic white recipe, in the first stages add to hot water(the amt. you use in the recipe(can do it in the milk also) 2 pkgs Lipton onion soup mix) not how Gram would do it, but it works, let the mixture cool off and into 6-8 inch squares put 1/2 cup meat mixture into middle of square, bring in corners to meet in the middle and crimp off to close package, put on sprayed cookie sheet, let rise, then eggwash, bake in 400 degree oven, until golden brown. They are so good. I like them even better cold. Some people make a gravy out of the simmer juice, and dip them. Remember to drain the mixture well so they aren't soggy.