View Single Post
Old 09-10-2016, 05:10 AM
Just Jan

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
We have an apple orchard I go to called Deals over here in Iowa. When I make my applesauce I do add sugar and cinnamon only because it was the 1st time I'd ever made it. I like mine chunky so I can use it in apple crisps too. Sometimes I'll throw a jar into a cake recipe and I feel chunky gives you more choices to use it in recipes other than just eating it.

I did find out one thing when canning applesauce, don't use a pressure canner but use the open water bath...............ask me how I know...:-(
How much are you paying for apples at Deals in Iowa? Just curious. They are on sale this week for $1 per pound for Gala, but the others are $1.25 per pound, ay Winn Dixie here in FL . Ok, I'll ask... why would it make a difference which kind of canner you use, as long as you leave enough head space in the jars? My sister used to use applesauce in recipes as a substitute for part of the oil, butter and/or milk. Dad liked to put it on top of cake instead of frosting.

I'm waiting for the # 14 Mystery Train to arrive, then I'm off to the grocery store and hope to make apple sauce this afternoon.

Last edited by Just Jan; 09-10-2016 at 05:13 AM.