View Single Post
Old 09-10-2016, 06:39 PM
mac

Not long ago there was a big discussion on just this subject. I tried a number of the suggestions, but what I found most helpful was steaming the eggs. ATK did a video on it and they found it to be the way to cook them . I found them easier to peel, by far. When I started to peel them the egg shells practically feel off of the eggs.

Here is a website that tells how to do it: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_steam_eggs/

A number of other things help, too:

*Use eggs that have been in your refrigerator at least a week
*Put them into ice cold water when they are finished cooking
*When peeling, start from the big side of the egg; crack it on the top and start peeling from there. However, be sure that when you start peeling, that the membrane has been torn through. If the membrane is not torn, it will not peel easy at all, and you will just tear up your egg, making it look like it was in a war. When the eggs are at least a week old, the membrane loosens up and that is why they are easier to peel.
*Finally, I find that when I am draining the cold water on the pan, I usually shake the pan and let the eggs crack. If I don't need to peel the eggs right away, I put them in a zip lock back and put them in the refrigerator. Later when I need them I find that they peel really easily.

I rarely have any problems peeling eggs and I truly believe that using these suggestions really helps. But, as with all things, there are always the tough nuts (eggs) to crack, so to speak.

Last edited by mac; 09-10-2016 at 06:45 PM.