View Single Post
Old 09-22-2016, 09:11 AM
LindySmith

I Googled a question about speed control of sewing machine pedals and up popped the QuiltingBoard. And then, I had forgotten my login/corresponding PW.
I am responding to a three year old thread so this may never be read, but one can try.
I noted one person suggested using a graphite spray on the spring underneath my foot pedal and I'll try that before complaining any more. I would like to add that it is NOT necessarily your foot, but may be brand-specific. I've tried with bare feet and then Speedo swim shoes without any improvement. I do a great deal of FMQ on my Husqvarna 870 Quilt. Sometimes, I can find just the right speed to keep stitches even. I have tried setting my machine to slower speeds (there are 5 of them) but too often, cannot maintain that nice, even speed (or find it again after stopping to re-position my hands). I also have a BabyLockQCP and must say I have significantly more control over that foot pedal compared to the Husqvarna - but the provided darning foot hops (very annoying noise to me) and has clear plastic in an oval ring=poor visibility.
I inherited my mother's Bernina 1030 and, once again, that foot pedal is EASY to control. Just like different makes of automobiles, foot pedals all respond differently. I hate feet that 'hop' and so am drawn to the Husqvarna because it has a 'floating' foot option. The 25 year old (or so) Bernina is the quietest, smoothest machine I own and makes the most beautiful straight stitches of all, but the throat space just doesn't accommodate the bed-sized quilts I make for loved ones. I love piecing with the Bernina and attaching bindings. If there were a way to change the connector on either the Bernina pedal or the Babylock pedal so it would fit my HV, it would be a match made in heaven for my FMQ. Any mechanics/wiring gurus out there? There has to be a way. Thanks to anyone who has an idea!