View Single Post
Old 10-08-2016, 06:59 AM
Clay

I had one answer in mind when I read the title, but after reading your budget there is no need to skimp. In many hobbies, sometimes people want to tell you to get a beginner machine then step up later. I will tell you that is a great way to loose money. Instead of buying one and then trading up 6 months later just buy a nice machine to begin with. I'm not telling you to go out of your budget, but buy the best machine you can within your budget.

Pricing on machines is like buying jewelry. There is a lot of wiggle room. Sometimes manufacturers give kickbacks in pricing breaks to retailers at quilt shows. Do your research before you go to the show. I've seen machines that list about $2000 that you can buy for half of that at a show.

Last year we came down to two machines. A Juki DX7 / 2000QVP (very similar machines) vs a Brother NQ1300PRW. Both machines listed at about $2000. I tried to buy the Juki but last October, the release dates just keep getting pushed back so the beginning of Nov, we bought the Brother. Paid $1249 then got a $100 rebate. http://www.brother-usa.com/homesewin...W#.VkaHsL9z31k At a recent show, saw the Juki DX2000QVP for $999: Those aren't everyday prices, you have to shop hard for those numbers but they can be achieved.

When you get down to the final two or three machines for consideration google Decision Tree Maker. I just made my own with an excel file, but basically it can help you decide what is important to YOU and it helps you make difficult decisions from a factual place and not just an impulse type buy.

In the end, the decision is yours and yours alone. It's your money, don't let some slick sales rep take it from you without a good feeling about the dealer. For me buying locally or semi locally was a big deal in my decision matrix because I wanted that support.

I think that I could write an article on sewing machine buying, but this response is already getting long. Have Fun with your buying decision.