Thread: What can I do ?
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2016, 08:40 AM
Ellen 1

I do not have suggestions for how to "fix" this problem. My comments are on the squaring up of a quilt. I do longarm quilt for friends and I always ask the person if they want me to square it up. Most say yes (especially when it is a large quilt), but some say no. Here are a couple reasons the squaring up process cuts into the corners.

1. The quilting "sucks up" fabric.
2. The piecer does not leave enough room along the edges to "keep the corners" from being cut into or but is so close to the edge binding covers it.

I would definitely speak with the person that you had quilt for you. If she is a beginner quilter, she may not realize yet that she has to keep the quilting design away form the edge, i.e leave enough room between the feathers and the binding area. (I am referring to custom quilting and not edge to edge).

Do not worry that she is a lovely person and be afraid of hurting her feelings, just be tactful and honest. She needs to know what you think of her quilting and that will help her improve her skills. Not telling her, but telling others will only hurt her business.

I don't think I would ask for a partial refund as was suggested by another person. I would have to know more about any pre quilting discussion you had with her about how you wanted it quilted, etc. etc. Did you tell her to "quilt it anyway she wanted to", "for her to decide" what to quilt on it, etc. or were you specific with what you wanted quilted on it??? What is done, is done.

I only have one person that I quilt for that is very specific about how she wants it quilted and she wants to square it up on her own.

Another friend always has me square it up, but most of the time I am struggling to keep all the points on her corners, and do the best I can.

I hope you discuss with your quilter what you DID and did not like about the quilting when you got it back.

Ellen

Last edited by Ellen 1; 10-22-2016 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Correcting computer generated typos!! :-/