Thread: Craft shows
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2016, 10:01 AM
Watson

Lots of great suggestions here.
I did craft shows for years with my Mom and by myself. (Not quilts, ceramics and horse items, but the theory is the same.)
I think one of the real tricks is to really know what is "in". What the current fad and colours are that people are using in their homes or whatever.
Also, have some lower priced items that people will just pick up on the spur of the moment. You want other people to see activity around your booth and be drawn in.
Another "draw", if you can manage it is to have a demo going on....even just a bit of hand-quilting in a small frame that you can put down easily. It's a draw for people to come to your booth to see what you're doing.
Have prices on everything. You may lose sales if people have to wait for you to ask for a price.
Talk to everyone. People at craft shows are there for the experience as well as to buy.
Decide ahead of time if you are going to give out your contact info for future sales and make up cards, if so.
Have bags, calculator, change, pens, paper, table and chairs ready and organized.
Get there early to set up. As mentioned above, use boxes to create height.
Have fun!
Watson

Editted to add: In answer to your question, "Did you make money?" the answer would be yes, with the disclaimer that with the ceramics a lot of the items were seasonal, so that was the big draw for them and with the horse items I got in at the top of a very popular fad, made good money and got out before it was over, hence the suggestion of finding out what is popular with people and catering to that market.

Last edited by Watson; 10-24-2016 at 10:07 AM.