Thread: Craft shows
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2016, 10:20 AM
Pennyhal

My friend and I been doing craft shows for several years now. Ten years ago I used to sell several of my jackts that are $90. Most of the craft shows have dissappeared because people were not buying anything. Nowadays, only things that are $5 or less sell around here.

Just generaly, when people walk by your booth, they make an instant decision as to whether or not they are going to go in your booth. Many booths sell just one thing, so people know quickly if they want to shop with you. If you are several different things to sell, you'll need to figure out how to let people know all the things you have. That is why height is so necessary. We'd hang things from the top and sides of the booth so people could see. People won't read either. So if you have something that isn't instantly recognizeable, you'll need to pop up and say..."this is a xyz and this is what it's for... People also like it if you talk with them. I wasn't comfortable doing that and have made an effort to engage people in conversation. At the very least, you should stand up and greet them and briefly tell them what you are selling.

Frankly, nowadays I barely make enough money to cover the entry fee and whatever other expenses I have like parking and gas to get to the show. I think other areas of the country might be doing better. In the meantime, it's just a hobby for me now.