View Single Post
Old 11-20-2016, 10:09 AM
RugosaB

I have not been to this list in 6 months, and the first thing I saw when coming back was this thread, so I just figured it was meant to be, I had to comment:
In 1988 or so my Singer died and the old guy that owned the shop told me I wore it out. I then learned it was a lot of plastic inside so I asked him "you got any that don't have plastic?
He showed me a Viking Husqvarna 630
I have the same machine still. I have always used it at least 5 days a week, if not more.
I started serious quilting 10 years ago. At one point I bought the quilting/darning foot, but after a year it broke. So, not wanting to wait for a replacement, I used my open toe foot. It worked perfectly, and has never been replaced.
The machine has 2 speeds and lots of features that I'm happy I have when fmg.

9 years ago I had a traumatic brain injury. I have been very very lucky and still retain my sewing abilities. One thing I have trouble with is learning new things. I know parts for this machine may be hard to find so I have accumulated 6 Viking 630s on ebbay, for parts was the idea. I'm not sure I could learn a new one.
They ALL work! I use them in rotation because I've heard of machines in storage 'freezing up.'
A couple even came with a walking foot.
I can't say it as fact. but I've heard that new Vikings are no longer made in Sweden and the quality has really gone down. If so, imo, they are now a plastic Singer.

I know newer machines have fancier stitches, but I'm satisfied with what this machine does