View Single Post
Old 12-29-2016, 10:05 AM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
A friend had breast cancer and she DID NOT want it to be pink. She wanted to use it after surgery/chemo/radiation without being reminded of the cancer.
I'm with you and your friend GramaJo ....

If/when my time comes for such, I do NOT want pink. Nor do I want the breast cancer ribbon/symbol .... or one for whatever affliction I have. Rather, I would appreciate one in the colours that I enjoy ... and of fabric that I adore relating to things important to me, whether it be one, or many different things.

Depending on the person ... that may be cat fabric? or horses? or flowers? or done as an adult I Spy with all sorts of different fabrics and stories within.

Kwiltr ... you know your friend and what s/he may appreciate. Some want one that they can take with them for their treatments. If so, the agreement seems to be that it be light in weight, not bulky, yet large enough to cover the patient well. A carrying bag made to go with it is a good idea. Some would prefer to have one that is a keep-at-home .... again, you likely want it to be warm yet light in weight for them and big enough to cover well, and curl up with. Of course, some of this depends on the climate they are in ... maybe warm is not an issue!

For all, you want to make sure it is durable and washable, as it may need laundering more often than regular quilts. For medical situations ... hot water and dryer is often advisable in order to be sure any bacteria or contaminants can be removed. That may be a big part in helping you decide which fabrics to choose.

Good Luck .... the important part ... make your quilt with LOVE!