View Single Post
Old 01-04-2017, 09:16 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Bree offered you some excellent alternatives. Be careful with what you use to mark the Golden Threads paper. I once got transfer to my thread. I used a water soluble pencil but it still didn't come out. I had to rip out the quilting and start over.

Definitely do NOT use Tailor's chalk. It is meant to be used in seam allowances to mark clothing pattern pieces and is not meant to wash out so avoid that.

I find the white chalk in this tool also brushes out easily but don't use the colored chalks:
https://www.amazon.com/Dritz-Quiltin.../dp/B001UAJ7C6

I would not use a frixion pen. The company that makes them even states they aren't meant to mark fabrics and there have been some horror stories about them.

Another option is to test your fabric. Many fabrics are marked dry clean only but suffer no ill effects when hand washed or dunked to remove marks. If your test piece comes out unscathed you can then use water soluble pens made specifically for marking quilts.

If you just need to outline some shapes you can make a template of the shape out of freezer paper and iron to the surface. Once you have quilted around the shape you can peel it off with no ill effect to the fabric.