Old 01-30-2017, 10:20 AM
avgquiltr

audsgirl,
I will send the quilt out to a long armer. It will probably be a wedding present for one of our grandchildren; we have nine. I wanted it to be queen sized.
Yesterday on her blog, Bonnie Hunter said, "I LOVE pieced borders. I do. I think you know that. If there is going to be a border I like it to really make a statement, and if it is pieced, it ends the quilt right there. Very rarely is there a “plain fabric” border outside of my pieced one. Usually because the quilt is already reached maximum size! And because I feel the statement made by a pieced border is somehow diminished and minimalized by the addition of a plain fabric border outside of it."
I am a big fan of Bonnie Hunter and also love pieced borders. However, some years ago Alex Anderson said that it is helpful to always put a plain border as the last border after a pieced border, even if it is one inch wide. It helps with stability and makes it easier to put the quilt top in a quilting frame, either for hand or machine quilting.
I also like the look of a solid frame around my quilts. We are all different.