View Single Post
Old 02-20-2017, 08:20 AM
klswift

You are years and years away from earning a living making quilts, if ever. Just the savvy needed on purchasing the materials at cost, the skills required and the know how of where and how to sell. But, you can earn some money making other items to sell. Learning how to make tote bags (grocery bags) on the cheap - BUT SEWN WELL -will not only help you learn, but is also a big seller now because of the bans on plastic bags. You can go from these to placemat sets, table runners/centerpieces and onward to bigger items as your skill advances. But, where are you going to sell them? You need to put in the legwork and check out all the local weekend craft fairs. What sells in your area? How much do they sell for? How much does it cost for the table/booth space? You have to do the homework before you start. When my kids where in college, I made them tote bags for various classes (hoping they could keep their stuff organized ?!?!?!). Some of their friends saw them and asked for some. This might be something to do in spare time at school. The messenger bags were a big hit. And I made a cushioned removable sleeve for their laptops that fit into all the bags. You will not get rich, but you might make some spending money. BUT - it is a job and must be approached as such. You can not expect to whip out a shoddy product, set up a table and sell out. Don't want to discourage you (I sell a lot of product), but want you to be realistic about it.