Old 02-25-2017, 01:41 AM
Katia

I have one of those basting guns for quilts. And it is the best thing ever. I think I have honestly tried every basting technique out there I think. From tons of basting safety pins to quilting pins with the soft rubber things on the points. I've spray basted with all the products, and that is just too messy for me. I even tried hairspray, seriously, it was recommended, but did not work for me.
I got a basting gun at a yard sale actually and tried it. They are like tagging guns they use in retail, but with tiny short plastic things that go in the gun. I just did a large twin and all I did was press everything of course and lay it on my cutting table. It hung over on two sides. I smoothed it all out and started in the middle. It only took about half an hour to have the whole thing ready to quilt. I use a LOT of the plastic things so I try to have a system of where I put them so I can find them when I am done quilting. I baste every 3 or four inches or even less sometimes. But I swear that sucker is secure for quilting. I did the last one on my old Bernina which has very little room so lots of tugging and pushing the poor quilt through the harp of the machine. But no wrinkles or pleats at all. Just sore shoulders.
I did build myself an extension of sorts that fits over my sewing machine desk. I just used plywood that I covered with fabric so it was cute and then nice plastic so the fabric would slide around. Easy peasy. It makes the sewing surface about three by four feet I think. So that helps. And I always use quilting gloves. Makes such a difference.
I do think I might look into those suspension things. What an idea. Gonna have to do some research. Or get a long arm. That would work too.
Similar basting gun. https://www.amazon.com/Avery-Denniso...ds=Basting+gun

Last edited by Katia; 02-25-2017 at 01:44 AM.