View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 06:38 PM
lov2stitch

When my grandson was 2, I made him a quilt out of his granddad's old Levis. He still has it today...he will be 21 this summer. It made many trips to horse shows and cattle shows. I made a quillow. It probably covered the top of a twin bed. Using the denim I made 12" crazy patch blocks flipping and sewing using muslin for the foundation base. I used red thread and stitched along the seams with different decorative machine stitches this kept the seams flat. I used a western cotton print for the backing. I put the top and backing right sides together and stitched and turned. I did not use a batting because the denim is so heavy..this is also why I used a cotton backing and not flannel. I did use a couple back pockets when making the blocks. After turning I smoothed out the edge and again with red thread and using a decorative stitch I stitched around the outer edge. This gave the edge a nice flat finish. I tacked using 6 stands of red embroidery floss and trimmed fairly close. You could also use a back tack or other stitch on the machine to tack the quilt. I used a piece of the western print for the "pocket" that makes the front of the pillow that the quilt folds into. I don't remember at what stage that piece is sewn on...too many years have past. I looked for a picture but did not find one. I am sure there are free quillon patterns and directions online and maybe some how to video's on Youtube. If you are interested I would google--quillow. For the memory quilt for the mother if something like this is used maybe some other clothing of the daughter could be used as the back and something from a special garment for the pillow cover.