View Single Post
Old 03-03-2017, 08:54 AM
marge954

For me it was too small of a quilting space with junk store, unsuitable storage. I found it frustrating and tiring that I couldn't move around the room without bumping into something and there wasn't a place for everything. Forget trying to quilt a quilt on my machine, there just wasn't enough room. It was like asking a ballet troupe to perform Swan Lake in a shipping crate. I explained to DH that I needed the master bedroom for a quilting room and he was okay with it. He built floor to ceiling shelving that went across one side of the room and bought me a tv and hung it on the wall. I purchased a table with drop down sides that is the same material as the shelving. We found two sewing cabinets at the thrift store for $20 each and he cut the tops so the sewing machines dropped down flush with the top. One of the cabinets has three large drawers and that was a plus. I spent a week organizing all my "stuff" and sent anything I didn't want or like to Goodwill. I was determined that everything had to have a place since I can't work when things are disorganized. This worked for me on several levels: I don't feel cramped and restricted anymore, the room looks nice, there is a large picture window so I can look out at the trees, there is a place for everything so it's never "junky". I feel like my art/craft/soul expression has been validated by a space that I can be proud of and it makes me want to quilt. DH make the remark after several months that he thought "stealing' the master bedroom was a great idea.
I will say the last two years I worked I was so mentally and physically exhausted I did very little quilting. I would sit and think about quilts, look at magazines and books and prepare for the day I got away from an abusive boss. The first year after I left work I still did a lot of sitting and "finding myself".
I also have eased off on keeping my home immaculate. I no longer spending hours cooking. I search for quick, tasty and easy meals and have loved the new recipes we've tried.
I hope you find your answer and you mojo!