View Single Post
Old 03-16-2017, 05:49 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JediMom View Post
That was actually a concern of mine! I probably should review more frame FMQ videos. I found a book amongst all the extras by Linda V. Taylor about long arm quilting. Since my machine is not a long arm, I'm not sure how much of it will apply, though.
The principle is the same. So you can easily translate the longarm tutorials to your domestic mounted on a frame. What you really want to learn is how to properly load and advance on a frame. That is your foundation. After that, there will be learning how to ensure your tension is good. Keep in mind tension is a constant moving target and many things can affect it from type of thread to how the bobbin is wound, to a blob of lint getting caught in the bobbin spring, even the same brand of thread only a different color can affect your tension so don't be afraid you adjust it and test it often. Then it is just teaching yourself how to move the machine at the right speed and making your design. Keep in mind there is absolutely nothing wrong with marking your quilt top so you have a line to follow. I almost always mark. Sometimes it is just registration points, sometimes just the spine of a feather and other times it is the entire motif.