View Single Post
Old 04-01-2017, 07:16 AM
elnan

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
Thanks everyone. As much as I appreciate the comments. I really do need recipes.
I suggest contacting your local hospital and asking if they have a Diabetes Educator or Coordinator. Our little "back of nowhere" hospital has a Diabetes Coordinator ( an RN) in an office with a dietician, and they have classes that include cooking.
I came home from a Quilting Retreat to be met at the door by my 66 year old husband with the news that he had been diagnosed with Diabetes, an ailment I knew nothing about, just always thought it meant a person ate too many sweets. I went to the online public library catalog for our area, and checked out and watched every video. He now eats a lot of raw vegetables, has cut out all bread except half a slice per day, no white rice and has small portions of red and brown rice. Avoid sweets, forget about artificial sweeteners, it's often the processing that is most harmful. Husband has done so well that the doctor and the Diabetes Educator are talking about him being able to cut out the meds. He has lost so much weight that he is now down to his 17 year old high school weight and keeps telling me "I feel so good!"
When we shop, we avoid putting anything in the shopping cart that has sugar added and his mantra is "No bread, potatoes, or rice." Denny's is one of his favorite places to eat, now even more-so because they will accomodate his requests . He loves the fruit-cup they will substitute for the hash-browns. No fruit juice, just think of it as concentrated sugar. Snacks are usually raw fruit or raw pumpkin seeds.

Best of luck to you and your husband.

As for recipes, the library has plenty of cookbooks for diabetics.