Old 04-10-2017, 09:22 AM
bkay

I have a fairly modern Elgin sewing machine. I would guess it was made in the 60's (It is a zig-zag machine with a place for cams that I do not possess). So, the fact that Elgin ceased manufacturing in 1899 does not indicate this machine is from that era. It's a electric machine, which doesn't appear to have been a treadle. That puts it newer than the 1899 time frame.

According to jlhnj, It's an Elgin badged machine made by Free Westinghouse. I just googled free westinghouse machines and there are several on ebay that are in better condition and are listed for $25.00 to $50.00.

Quiltnmom wants to know if it has any value. She means monetary value. She doesn't mean sentimental value. Since she's a member here, she already sews and has a machine. My guess is that she's looking for information to make a decision on whether to keep it.

I don't think it has much, if any, monetary value. Someone who isn't a sewing machine geek will look for a far newer or better looking machine. A sewing machine geek will look for something more unusual, in better condition or older. So, for all those who think she should keep it, "How much would you pay for it?" and, "How much would you pay for the cabinet?" Would you spend any money to add it to your collection? Do you need another cabinet, even a really pretty one?

Quiltingmom, I've noticed that people are using vintage sewing machine cabinets for hall/entry tables because they are small.

bkay