View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010, 05:18 AM
katier825

Originally Posted by Rymer
Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
Hi Rymer - I have a brother XR-52 also. I do lots of FMQ on it. I'm not an expert but have had the issue you show on the back. I would rewind a new bobbin, change the needle, rethread, make sure the bobbin case is clean (I recently cleaned mine out using the manual as a guide and it was not hard). I also set the stitch length at 0 and don't use that little plate. I found it caused some drag on the quilt. I use one of those silicone slider things with a hole for the needle that covers the feed dogs but you could use a thick piece of vinyl too. Another thing I learned is to try and find the "sweet spot" where your hands and machine are going at just the right rhythm. I don't always get it, but I know it when I do. I have found this machine not to be fussy on what kind of thread I use. Good luck! Will look forward to more pictures.
oh what is this silicone slider thing you speak of? where can I get it? I don't like the plate we have to use. I"m so excited to see someone else do this w/ my machine!! with the help of the ladies in chat I figured out that I didn't put my lever down (doh!! rookie mistake) so it got a lot better, but the thread on the back was still kind of loose. so I need to rethread and try again. I just had my machine cleaned by a shop so it should be pristine! LOL! thank you so much for responding!
Supreme Slider. Here's a link http://www.freemotionslider.com/ I have one and think it's worth the money.

The advice everyone gave is good. It takes a lot of practice. I took a class and that was helpful. I practice as often as I can. I keep track of what threads my machine likes (some machines are picky).

Until you feel comfortable doing it, I suggest matching your thread to the fabric. Using cotton batting helps too. Once it's washed, you don't notice the mistakes! That inspires confidence to keep working at it! :)