View Single Post
Old 04-26-2017, 06:08 AM
KenmoreGal2

Thanks Mitty and Rob. I tried a different method this morning. I made the zipper shorter so it wasn't an issue at all with the bulk. Then I sewed a long shoulder strap to the top corners of the bag exterior, similar to how 2 handles would be sewn to the bag exterior in my first picture. The handle wasn't very thick at all but once it was doubled over and then added to the bulk of the bag, it was quite a lot. I didn't think to hammer it. That may have helped. But.....the handles finished pretty badly, nothing like I'd hoped. Picture below.

In the past I've made shoulder strap bags by sewing the exterior and lining faces together at the top with a space left (at the top) to turn the bag. It's easy to insert the shoulder strap into that "package". The problem is I also need to insert the zipper at the top and because I like to make myself a pretty small bag, it's really hard to do because the space is so tight. That's why I'd love to figure out a way to have the shoulder strap on the sides but construct the bag like my first photo. (Add the zipper first then sew the bag sides.) Is this even possible? I did a lot more internet searching last night and can find no examples of what I want to do. Maybe it can't be done? I guess in a pinch I could use 2 long shoulder straps attached like my first picture. Ok, here's today's mess.

Edited to add - most tutes I find on the web for top zip bags have 2 handles attached to the exterior fabric. I did find a couple pictures of bags with one long handle. They used a hidden recessed zipper. Is that what I need to do? Maybe I should switch to bags with a flap like Barb made, assuming there is not a zipper hiding under her flap??

Thanks for helping.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]572130[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails bag3.jpg  

Last edited by KenmoreGal2; 04-26-2017 at 06:15 AM.